Friday 7 March 2008

A second post in one day? Madness!

Hi all,
I just realised my hotel (I say hotel, it's actually a ryokan - Google it) has free net access and also has a working and open USB port. Great success!

I've attached a couple of photos of mine (finally!). Apologies for the image sizes - I have no way to resize but the connection here is fast enough for it not to matter.

The first is of some early cherry/plum blossom I spotted out in Osaka around Osaka-jo (Osaka castle) and its attached park. It's early yet but a few of the trees seem way out of synch with where they should be - they should be blossoming in a month or so here.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The second is of some bizarre 'Engrish' advertising I spotted down by Osaka aquarium, which I know some of you will get a kick out of (Si and Andrew, especially).
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Third is a shot of the Earthquake Memorial Park in Kobe - in particular, a section of Pier 3 kept as it was exactly after the 1996 quake. It's only a tiny section but it's enough to be quite a powerful reminder.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Last is a shot of a garden in Kyoto, about 5 mins walk away from my current hotel/ryokan. It's an interesting example of how the Japanese manage to work areas of total tranquility into the midst of a bustling (and very noisy) metropolis.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I have a load more to say, much of it about how crazy this place is (in the best possible way), but it's hard to put into words without writing a short novel. I guess the platforms at Kobe train station which play the tune to "I've been working on the railroad" when a train approaches are a good start.

Must dash before my time on this PC is up.

Take care all,
James



PS - Expect more updates, potentially with photos, since I've actually found a couple of good internet access points now, and I'm in Kyoto for a week.